The Mummy and the Monkey!

King of the Zombies
1941 | B&W | 67 Minutes | 1.85:1 | UR | Horror/Comedy | Mono | Monogram Pictures

Source: Screamzine Roku Channel


Director: Jean Yarbrough

Writer: Edmond Kelso

Stars:
Dick Purcell
Joan Woodbury
Mantan Moreland

Plot: During World War 2, a small plane off the south coast of America is low on fuel and blown off course by a storm. Guided by a faint radio signal, they crashland on an island. The passenger, his manservant and the pilot take refuge in a mansion owned by a doctor. The easily-spooked manservant soon becomes convinced the mansion is haunted by zombies and ghosts. Exploring, the 3 find a voodoo ritual in the cellar, where the doctor is trying to acquire war intelligence by transferring personalities into his zombies. But the interruption causes the zombies to turn on their creator.


The other day I was flipping through my Roku channels just looking to see what I could delete. You know the channels that seem to take up space for no reason at all. Well, I was browsing Screamzine to see if it was worth keeping due to the fact I hardly find anything on it to watch. Just before hitting the star key I see The Mummy and the Monkey season 1. Now, what is odd about that +Janet Jay and +Grimm Decay popped up a day prior on Google+ as somebody I should know. So this is rather weird, moving my finger away from the star key I pressed play instead!

Janet Jay

Wow just wow! First thing we are treated to his a very beautiful lead charter the Mummy (Janet). I don't want to come off as a pig, but she is very easy on the eyes making a sit through of the show much more tolerable. Their show seems to be new and from what I have seen so far I sure hope they make a few more. The show opens with a skit and they introduce the movie with bad jokes and puns in the true tradition of horror host's. Even Grimm Decay (The Monkey) is a fun character and easily likable and he gives you this kind of nostalgic feeling of early morning cartoon shows which to me is pretty wonderful. 


Now the movie they hosted was King of The Zombie's and 1949 Horror Comedy that has fallen into Public Domain making it easy for Horror Host's everywhere to have fun with it, or should I say make fun of it. I have not seen this movie so it was a treat to catch two new things at once. One thing I did like about this being on Screamzine is that the channel does not have annoying add's that jump in randomly like most Roku Channels. This one flows very well. 


As for the movie, it is not too bad, nothing overly great about it but watchable to say the least. The cast works well together and the comedy in this works well. Not much of a soundtrack until the end when there is a big chant along to transfer information from one brain to the other. Those chants are pretty cool and the only music worth noticing. The picture itself is PD and it does have its troubles the biggest for me was being out of frame. 


I did enjoy the movie and the zombies pre-Romero for what they are.  Not a whole lot of special effects or makeup going on but the one hour run time helps move this along. And our beautiful host breaks in from time to time oh wait I think she has a co-host give me a second I don't remember. Oh yeah yeah that ape guy... anyway  it was cool to see them edit in things going on around them like the Zombie Walk and a look around the set.


Mummy and Monkey also have a pretty catchy theme song to open the show with. Are they the next Elvira and Svengoolie well not yet but this was their first show and it works well. I would much rather see there show end up on ZomBee Tv, but I'm glad they found a home for now. As I was researching this, it looks like Episode 2 is out on YouTube so click here to check out the show. You can even watch the King of the Zombies if you do not have a Roku. 

I'm sure this will not be the last time I write about The Mummy and The Monkey!

2 Bloody Brains for KOTZ

But...

4 Bloody Brains for the new kids on the block!

I think you could say I'm a fan!


No comments:

Post a Comment