Vampire's Day Soiree: Subspecies Review

Subspecies
1991 | Color | 90 min | 1.85.1 | R | Mono | Horror | Full Moon Horror


Director: Ted Nicolaou

Writer:  Jackson Barr

Stars: 
Angus Scrimm
Anders Hove
Irina Movila

The evil vampire villain Radu returns to his hometown Prejnar, after spending years in exile. He steals the precious blood stone which is said to be bleeding from all saints, from his father and kills him. Meanwhile, two American schoolgirls team up with a local girl for work on Romanian culture. Radu becomes attracted to them but runs into trouble when his brother Stephan helps the girls.





Ted Nicolaou direct's Charles Bands fan favorite Subspecies how did this Full Moon fan like it well let's take a look and see shall we?

I picked this movie for the Vampire's Soiree this year mainly due to the fact Angus Scrimm's passing was still on my mind bumping this tile to the top of the list. I'm not the biggest Vampire fan on the plant but Scrimm deserves my attention. I met him a few years back and he was the nicest guy out there. He loved talking to his fans. With that I start my review with a bit of negativity **Spoiler Alert* he is in this movie for such a short time that it is hard for me to understand the top billing other than to sell units. But do not let this slow you down from watching.


The movie itself is rather beautifully shot in Bucharest, Romania with a painted landscape of fall colors giving the movie a simple chill as you feel night falling. The small town and Castle really add to the story bringing you into Radu's tortured life. It is easy to except that Radu is more after the Blood in the stone and pure evil on like Vampires of today and their hunger for flesh and women. It comes as a refreshing way to watch.

 
The cast is very enjoyable as well with three very beautiful girls leading the story. Actor Anders Hoves is one hell of a creepy nosferatu! His look channels early looks of vampire movies with his long fingers and double fangs that leave you uneasy in your seat. He plays such evil it makes me wonder what type of charter he was on General Hospital. 


I do have to say tho Radu's look at times comes off looking more like Killjoy then a vampire. I'm not sure what it was maybe the red lips on his long face gave him a clown look. Believe it or not, it is my only other complaint. The story is not bad it does give you the feel of those early 90's tv shows like Xena or Hercules with that same tone that makes this very easy to watch. It never gets too deep and bores you with silly little details. The bad guy wants all the evil power and his brother is there to stop him simple yet leaves you looking forward to the sequels.


Without a doubt, this is one of Full Moon's better-looking movies that makes me feel bad that I did not listen to the fans years ago. If you are looking for something different in the vampire world this Valentines Day Subspecies is worth a look. Great cast, beautiful locations, and a somewhat fresh take on Vampires. 

3 Bloody Brains



Make sure to check out the other bloggers over at Holly's Horrorland  and Happy Valentine's Day. 

6 comments:

  1. Excellent review! Thank you! I'm going to have to see this movie! Happy Vampire Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. One to add to my list. I do enjoy movies that offer a worth-seeing setting... And a blood-sucker or two can't hurt. Well, maybe...

    Happy Vampire's Day Soirée! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. Visually stunning! I will have to look for this one. Thanks for the recommendation.

    Happy Vampire's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't know this one, so definitely adding it to the list! Happy Vampire's Day!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well I do like me a "proper" non sparkly vampire to look up to. Will have to find and watch this one :D XXX

    ReplyDelete
  6. I want to see this even more after reading your review!
    Radu topped the list of most underrated vampires actually: http://www.wickedhorror.com/top-horror-lists/eight-movie-vampires-dont-get-nearly-enough-credit/

    ReplyDelete