It's an almighty laugh!

If you want to look back at movies from  the 70's and 80's you think of Jaws, Star Wars, and The Incredible Shrinking Women. But there was one movie that briefly ended Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope ( 15-week reign at the #1 spot at the box office in October of 1977, before Star Wars returned to the top spot the following week.

That was Oh, God! starring George Burns. As kids, we watched this movie all the time. I really believed that this was what god looked like no really I did! Come on to a seven-year-old catholic boy this god rocked! And hell he smoked to because that was still cool still. Heck, when we saw this a the theater people could still smoke inside.
 Anyway...

The crazy story goes like this: Jerry Landers (John Denver), a supermarket assistant manager, and a good yet non-religious person, suddenly finds a note in the mail one day that grants him an "interview" with God. Thinking it to be a hoax he tosses it away, but when it keeps reappearing he finally gives in. Skeptical at first, he ends up carrying His personal message - that the world can work with what God's given us.

I was lucky enough to pick this up on DVD not too long ago and plan to revisit the movie soon just to see if it holds up to this day. So have you seen this movie or any of the two sequels? Let me know below and please check out the other bloggers during the #AtoZChallenge 


6 comments:

  1. I remember watching and liking this movie when it first came out! I don't know that John Denver really had any more movie success, did he? I never watched the sequels, but he wasn't in them anyway. Just George Burns, that classic old geezer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked "Oh, God!" and to a lesser extent "Oh, God! Book 2". I never saw "Oh, God! You Devil". Reading up on it recently, I had forgotten Teri Garr played John Denver's wife in it. It seems like for a while she was the "go to" actress for the suffering wife of the child-man husband. (Also see Close Encounters and Mr. Mom)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ironically, I haven't, although I was a fan of George Burns, and definitely a John Denver fan (the kids and I were listening to him in the car the other day).

    But in 1977 I was 8 years old, and my parents didn't take us to theatres except on rare occasions (I did see E.T. at the drive-in). For a good deal of my childhood, bedtime was 9pm, which put prime time movies out of reach.

    I've had lots of time since, but they do seem to keep making more movies...

    Think I'll see if Amazon or Netflix have these available!

    Boldly Going Through the Alphabet!
    @shanjeniah
    Part-Time Minion for Holton's Heroes
    shanjeniah's Lovely Chaos

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post. George Burns was awesome. https://mhsusannematthews.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember that movie! I'm pretty sure I saw "Oh, God! You Devil" as well but I didn't see the second one. I'll have to look it up. Thanks for the memory!
    Carol at My Writing Journal

    ReplyDelete
  6. I saw that movie, I remember it being rather funny. I think it would be worth a second look! Cat, visiting you from the A to Z challenge. Crap On My Shoes, Egg In My Pocket...

    ReplyDelete